Robyn Williams-ABS science journalist

Why do science journalist at the ABC make such ridiculous statements.
 

Andrew Bolt: No, I counterpunch more. When someone makes an absurd claim...and this is what scares me, people are making the most absurd claims way beyond the evidence, and very prominent people, without ever getting checked, and there's a fear there. Literally, according to surveys here and elsewhere, children are almost sleepless at night worrying. I mean, that's so bizarre. If you saw, for example, Channel Ten on their carbon test which they ran last weekend, they did a poll before it went to air saying; what do you think the world has warmed up by in the last century? And more than half nominated a temperature rise three times greater than the one that's actually occurred. I'm telling you, there's a lot of fear out there. So what I do is, when I see an outlandish claim being made...so Tim Flannery suggesting rising seas this next century eight stories high, Professor Mike Archer, dean of engineering at the University of NSW...
Robyn Williams: Dean of science.
Andrew Bolt: Dean of science...suggesting rising seas this next century of up to 100 metres, or Al Gore six metres. When I see things like that I know these are false. You mentioned the IPCC report; that suggests, at worst on best scenarios, 59 centimetres.
Robyn Williams: Well, whether you take the surge or whether you take the actual average rise are different things.
Andrew Bolt: I ask you, Robyn, 100 metres in the next century...do you really think that?
Robyn Williams: It is possible, yes. The increase of melting that they've noticed in Greenland and the amount that we've seen from the western part of Antarctica, if those increases of three times the expected rate continue, it will be huge, but the question...
Andrew Bolt: I'm scared that you think that because the latest studies in Greenland suggest that little spurt of warming that you base some of this has stopped, and it just depresses me that someone like me, I come on...I haven't said anything here that's wild or anything, I get the grilling, but someone like Tim Flannery is treated like God and made Australian of the Year for saying the most absurd things that are laughed at, even by climatologists.
Click "show transcript"
source

Popular Posts